The products listed below are so popular that many people cannot imagine their lives without them. However, those who know how active, saturated and happy can life without medicines and diseases be cannot imagine how can someone possibly eat such things.
Everyone is free to choose oneself: limitations and health or freedom to eat whatever you want and diseases. Actually, such limitations are temporary, as in the process of purification a person starts to instinctively avoid unnatural food.
Thus, here is the list of unhealthy products:
1. Salt. We have mentioned it already in the first part of this book in the chapter about mineral salts. Ideally, salt should not be consumed at all, and you should avoid pickled cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms etc., as well as crispy potatoes, salty crackers, some cheeses and other overly salty products. Sauerkraut prepared with a small amount of salt is allowed when there are no other sources of vitamins and also when it is very cold (salt increases Yan).
2. Sugar and all the products that contain it: pastry, jams, sweet fruit drinks, ice cream, sweetened juices etc. Sometimes you can allow yourself a herbal tea with sugar or jam as a separate meal, but combined with other food sweet stuff is strictly forbidden. When consumed with starches or proteins, sugar causes putrescent fermentation processes in your body and when combined with fruits it acidifies your blood. Fruits are a great source of alkali, but when combined with sugar they also become great sources of acids.
Honey does not cause such reactions when consumed in moderate quantities, but it is better to not eat it every day and always eat it separately (though you can add a bit of honey to many dishes).
Note that frozen berries with sugar are less unhealthy than pure sugar. This is due to the fact that during storage, enzymes contained in berries and fruits transform a part of sugar into fructose. Moreover, such mixtures contain many vitamins. But anyway, jams and other products based on sugar are not the best products (though sometimes they can be allowed and even recommended, when there are no other sources of vitamins).
On one hand, sweet food increases Yin and contributes to fermentation processes; on the other hand, it brings sattva. A healthy person can easily determine how his organism reacts to sugar and that is what you should base your choices on.
3. Margarine, cooking fats and other artificial fats. If you care about your health you should not eat them or use them for cooking.
4. Canned food. Such products are absolutely dead. Canned meat and fish are oversaturated with salt and conservatives. Canned vegetables can be eatable sometimes. Fruit and vegetable purees can also be acceptable, but only in extreme cases, when it is impossible to find any fresh food.
Thus, most canned foods are extremely unhealthy and those rare ones that are not as bad are not healthy either. However, you can conserve fruits and vegetables on your own, though it is always better to eat something fresh. Cabbage, potatoes, carrot and beetroot can be stored till the spring and you can always buy or plant some greens.
5. Coffee. This stimulator as well as all the other ones should be considered a medicine, not food. In the beginning of this century O.K. Zelenkova noted that drinking too much coffee causes stomachaches, anemia, as well as blood circulation and nervous system disorders.
Everyone who drinks coffee often is sick and they will not know how it is to be healthy until their nervous system recovers from such systematic violations caused by this drink.
6. Tea. Everything said about coffee can also be referred to strong black tea. Weak tea can be allowed sometimes, but it is always better to drink herbal teas.
Green tea is certainly less unhealthy than black tea and it is often recommended during intestine disorders, flatulence and dysbacteriosis. Black tea and coffee cause Yang imbalance. Green tea restores Yang. However, it is better to not get used to black or green teas.
7. Sodas water. These drinks are even more destructive than coffee and tea, but fortunately, they are not consumed as often. Different lemonades are also very bad for your health. In general, the best drink of all is clean water.
8. Sausages, salami, smoked fish and meat, ham etc. Boiled sausage can be barely considered food at all. Normal sausages have a slightly better quality, but they also should not be consumed. All smoked meats contain many irritating substances and salt. They damage the intestine and secretory organs and acidify blood a lot. I.I. Litvina (Litvina "Three benefits") writes that the caloric content of sausages should come with a minus and such products should be labeled with skull and crossbones. By the way, such icon can be added to the first 13 products in this list.
9. Everything that is fried. In the process of frying, various poisonous and carcinogenic substances are formed (especially when the same oil is used several times). Many poisonous compounds are also formed when warming all the vegetable oils, except for the corn one. If as an exception you need to fry something sometimes, it is better to use clarified butter.
Those brownish crusts that look so nice and tasty are very hard to digest and cause gastritis, colitis, ulcers and various diseases of liver and kidneys.
10. Vinegar, pepper, tomato sauces, mustards, marinades and other spicy and sour sauces and spices. These products are meant to “improve” the taste of dishes, so that you could eat them even without the feeling of hunger. However, they irritate digestive and secretory organs, impede their normal functioning and cause many diseases. Such irritants are allowed just in tiny doses and of course should not be consumed on a permanent basis.
11. Refined vegetable oils. There are 4 stages of refining of vegetable oils. Unrefined oils are subject only to filtration in order to remove solid particles. They have dark color and strong aroma and taste characteristic of this type of oils. There is usually a considerable amount of sediment, containing phospholipids – valuable biologically active compounds. It is better to shake the sediment and consume it together with oil (while it is fresh).
Hydrogenated oils are formed using hot water or steam for removing phospholipids. During this process, the oil also loses remains of proteins and mucilaginous materials. Hydrogenated oils are brighter than unrefined ones and do not have sediment.
Refined oils are also treated with alkali for removing free acids (very valuable compounds).
Refined deodorized oils are subject to high-pressure steam in vacuum for removing smelly substances. As a result the oil becomes almost transparent and does not have any smell. Such oils can be stored for a very long time, as they do not have any perishable contents.
Many specialists believe that refined fats contribute to the growth of cancer cells. Such data cannot be considered conclusive, but it is a fact that a healthy and sensitive organism “does not want” to consume refined oils. However, our organisms “do not like” some types of unrefined oils either.
It is better to store oil in tightly closed glass vessels in a dark place. In case of storing for a longer period (more than 2-3 months), oil should be placed in the fridge in completely full vessels (so that there would not be any air inside). It is not recommended to store oil in open plastic bottles for a long time, as the air makes oil interact with plastic walls of a bottle and form toxic compounds. However, some types of plastic do not have this disadvantage.
12. Wilted, not fresh vegetables and soggy greens. Not only they are not healthy, but they can even cause intoxication. The same is true for yesterday salads. Ar Suntam said that to neutralize one part of rotten greens, the organism needs ten parts of fresh greens.
13. Mayonnaise. It is not a coincidence that mayo goes under number 13 in this list. It is undoubtedly harmful and absolutely not compatible with the very notion of healthy food.
14. Not fresh food and food warmed up for the second time. A freshly made salad loses half of its value in half an hour. Moreover, in this time various microorganisms start growing intensively (especially if you use sour cream or mayo as dressing) and nitrates start actively transforming into nitrites.
Hot dishes acquire tamas energy soon after getting cold. After a dish is warmed up for the second time, it loses almost all valuable substances and only contains calories and products of bacterial activity (as microbes continue developing even in the fridge, though it happens much slower than in warm temperatures).
15. Bread and pastry made of refined wheat flour, pasta, sushki etc. It is better to stop eating sushkis, rusks, noodles and pasta at all. If you need to eat any of these products, it is necessary to chew it for a very long time, especially pasta. Those who doubt the dangers of not doing that can conduct the following simple experiment. Eat a portion of pasta the way you usually do it (chewing each mouthful of food 3-5 times). In a couple of hours, when the food in your stomach is supposed to be digested already, drink water and throw up. You will see chunks of pasta which will prove everything on their own.
Wheat bread made with “high-quality” flour is also quite unhealthy according to the opinion of most famous dieticians. It is easier to digest than rusks or pasta, but it acidifies your blood very strongly. It is different when it comes to whole-wheat bread. However, only people doing hard physical labor can eat a lot of it.
Whole-wheat flour contains all the natural compounds, while high-grade wheat flour does not have many important compounds, but still contains one of the antivitamins destroying riboflavin (B2). White flour does not contain this antivitamin. So which flour is better? It is very hard to say. One more factor playing a role in bread quality is how well it is baked. Well-baked bread made of the most refined “high-quality” flower is undoubtedly better than underbaked whole-wheat bread.
16. White rice. It is advised to avoid it for the same reasons as white bread – such rice acidifies your organism. It is always better to buy brown rice or wild rice.
17. Dieticians also do not recommend eating dried fruits treated with sulphurous acid solution or sulphurous gas. Most dried apples, pears and apricots are subject to such treatment. Dried apricots without sulfur dioxide have darker, almost brownish, color. It is better to put treated dried fruits in warm water for a couple of minutes, then most of sulfur dioxide will transfer into water.
Text: from the book A.Eddar “Treatise of nutrition”. Interpreter: Liza Dukhova