1. Place a lighted candle at head level or slightly higher, at a distance of 0.5 to 1 meter from the face - as convenient. It should be equal to the distance from the eyes lower belly.
2. Take a steady pose and, without blinking, look at the candle. At this time, whenever possible, there should be no distractions. Exercise is usually performed in the evening, after sunset, in the dark or semi-darkness.
3. Carefully peer into the flame, trying to narrow the area of vision to a minimum. Eyes should be wide open, you should not blink. The flame language will turn into one bright spot, which will grow as you train. Ideally, the spot should occupy the entire field of view. Yogis can hold this state for a long time, up to half an hour or more.
4. The head should be free from obsessive thoughts. You need to learn not to think about anything outside during the exercise. Just watch. It is very difficult and the skill comes only after a long practice. At first, thoughts will be the most diverse, and moreover constantly, which is completely normal. Having caught yourself thinking about an outsider, you do not have to irritably try to discard the thought that has appeared, it is completely useless. It’s better to try smiling at yourself and switch to the centre of the flame. It is advisable to separate yourself from your thoughts, evaluate everything as if from the outside and always kindly.
5. The first few weeks you need to look at the flame until your eyes get tired. In the future, this time can be from 10 to 15 minutes or more, depending on the task. It is strictly forbidden force yourself to exercise! When there are pains and tears, it is necessary to close your eyes and mentally continue to at the candle until the imaginary bright spot between the eyebrows disappears. We must try every time to increase this time of “residual glow” and the flame as clearly as possible.
6. It is very important to keep your back and head straight. Having found that the back is bent and the head is lowered, you should immediately straighten.
7. After the exercise, be should relax your eyes.
Sometimes, instead of a growing bright spot, people see other images, for example, screens with “pictures”, etc. This is a very important skill, it must be developed in every possible way, without fail consulting with the head of classes.
Independent steps in this direction can lead to some mental disorders.
The method of long-term fixation of the gaze on the candle flame is used at the stage of Dharana (concentration) to develop the ability to concentrate. At the same time, the exercise has a very beneficial effect on the eyes and improves visual acuity.
Text: From Ar Eddar's book “The Beginning of Hatha Yoga”